Literature Working Group CFP
2020 Cultural Studies Association Annual Conference on “Bodily Sovereignty and Collective Action”
Columbia College | Chicago, IL | May 28-May 30, 2020
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Monday, Jan 20, 2020
This panel will consider the figuration of the body in working-class fiction. Papers will explore the bodily dimensions of working-class life, the changing embodiments of work, and their relation to the ongoing struggles of working-class people. Papers might consider literature that explore subjects such as:
- immigrant detention
- refugee crises
- working-class ecologies
- public health and the “slow violence” of environmental degradation
- human trafficking
- sexual autonomy
- bodily alienation and automation
- cyborgs, post-humanism, trans-humanism
- reproductive labor and social reproduction theory
- trans rights
- surveillance and the state
- migration, mobility, and transnational labor flows
If interested, please send a 250 word abstract and a brief bio to email@example.com by January 20th, 2020.
Other topics are welcome. If proposing individual paper or per-constituted panels to the Literature Working Group please submit a 300-500-word abstract no later than Monday, Jan 20, 2020 through the Cultural Studies Association’s Easy Chair system: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=csa20200 -- Please indicate that you are applying through the Literature Working Group.
Submission of proposals is open to anyone, but if your paper is accepted, you will need to join the CSA. New members are always welcome. See the benefits of membership & become a member here.
CSA offers a limited number of travel grants, for which graduate and advanced undergraduate students can apply. Only those who are individual members, have been accepted to participate, and have registered for the conference are eligible to apply for a travel grant.
- Submission System Open: Monday, October 14, 2019
- Final Deadline for Submissions: Monday, Jan 20, 2020.
- Early Bird Registration: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 until Friday, March 2, 2020.
- Friday, January 17, 2020: Notifications sent out
- Friday, March 2, 2020: Early Registration Ends, Regular Registration Rate Begins
- Friday, May, 1, 2020: Last day to register to participate in the conference. If you do not register by this date and are not a current member, your name will be dropped from the program.
The 2020 conference will be held at Columbia College Chicago in Chicago, Illinois, located in the South Loop of downtown Chicago. It is easily accessible via public transit from both Chicago O’Hare airport and Chicago Midway airport. A CSA hotel block for members will be announced at a later date.
INSTITUTIONAL MEMBERSHIPS include three complimentary conference registrations annually for students. Graduate students who wish to submit proposals are strongly encouraged to speak with their Department Chair or Program Director about institutional membership and where possible, make use of the complimentary registrations. Full benefits of institutional membership are described here: http://www.culturalstudiesassociation.org/institutions.
Questions? Contact the Chair of the Literature Working Group, Helen Kapstein (firstname.lastname@example.org)