The Cultural Studies Association (CSA), which was founded in 2003, is a non-profit association for scientific purposes in the field of cultural studies. The goal of the CSA is to create and promote an effective community of cultural studies practitioners and scholars, to represent the discipline and its committed practitioners everywhere, and to advance cultural studies knowledges, projects, approaches, and methodologies throughout the world. Its members come from all over the world. The CSA provides a forum for scholars of cultural studies, in all its diverse manifestations, to exchange their work and ideas across disciplinary lines and institutional locations.
In the spring each year, the Cultural Studies Association holds an international annual conference. As with other professional organizations, the annual conference provides the membership an opportunity to meet and network with other professionals in the discipline, introduce students to the wider professional community, and share and discuss current efforts in cultural studies research and practice.
The Cultural Studies Association publishes its own journal, Lateral. Lateral, an e-publishing platform of the association, is a digital journal and production site designed to foster experimentation and collaboration among cultural studies practitioners and researchers. It is committed to critical studies of culture that advance and extend the reach of cultural studies as a field and method of inquiry and as an intellectual/political project.
The CSA is overseen by an Executive Committee (serving four year terms), and a President and Vice President (serving two year terms), all elected by the membership. The Executive Committee includes two graduate student representatives who serve two year terms.
Questions about or suggestions for the CSA should be sent to email@example.com.
CSA Officers and Administration
- Bruce Burgett , University of Washington Bothell, President (2012-2014)
- Jaafar Aksikas, Columbia College Chicago, Vice President (2012-2014)
- Patricia Clough, City University of New York, Past President (2010-2012; 2012-2014)
- Randy Martin, New York University, Past President (2008-2010; 2010-2012)
- Sean Andrews, Columbia College Chicago, Administrative Officer and Treasurer
- Robert Gehl, University of Utah, Communications and Technology Coordinator
- Jamie Skye Bianco, New York University, Lateral Journal Liaison and "Working Group Wrangler"
CSA Advisory Board:
- Marian Aguiar, Carnegie Mellon University (2012-2015)
- S. Charusheela, University of Washington Bothell (2012-2015)
- Kandice Chuh, City University of New York (2012-2015)
- Rod Ferguson, University of Minnesota (2010-2014)
- Christina B. Hanhardt, University of Maryland, College Park (2012-2015)
- Curtis Marez, University of California, San Diego (2010-2014)
- Christina Nadler, Graduate Center, CUNY, Graduate Representative (2012-2014)
- Rashad Shabazz, University of Vermont (2012-2015)
- Jayna Brown, UC Riverside (2013-2016)
- Josen Masangkay Diaz, UC San Diego, Graduate Representative (2013-15)
- Kirstie A. Dorr, UC San Diego (2013-2016)
- Mimi Thi Nguyen, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (2013-2016)
- Craig Willse, George Mason University (2013-2016)